Jobs & Vacancies

We’re recruiting a new Head Grower for the 2022 season!

Head Grower

Deadline for applications: 17 Dec 2021
Interviews (online): 21 Dec 2021
Visit to the farm: week commencing 3 Jan 2022
Decision: 10 Jan 2022
Start date: From 31 Jan 2022, or earlier

We are looking for an enthusiastic grower and project manager for our established market garden and growing enterprise. As Head Grower you will be self-employed, full time (approximately 40 hours per week), and liaise with Project Director, Tracy Worcester. You will be supported by volunteers and trainee gardeners and will be responsible for all aspects of the project including crop planning, sowing, planting, soil and plant care, harvesting and packing, marketing, advertising, sales, distribution and book keeping.

The market garden was launched in 2020 and covers 1.3 acres with approximately 60% of this area currently in production. There are 3 large poly-tunnels, a small greenhouse and a wide variety of crops being grown under cover and outdoors. The remaining 40% of the garden is being prepared and covered ready to be brought into production in 2022/2023. The garden is being run to organic standards and we are considering applying for organic certification in 2022.

This year we have successfully created and launched the brand and since June 2021 we have been supplying veg to local farm shops, restaurants and businesses, as well as a veg box collection scheme. This July we started selling at our first farmers market and now run a weekly stall on Saturdays at Hatherell’s Yard Market in Chipping Sodbury.

The project is supported by volunteers and ‘live-in’ wwoofers and there is accommodation to support up to 4 or 5 volunteers on-site at any time, including 1 or 2 trainee growers for each growing season. Food from the garden will be grown for market with provision made to supply Tracy’s family and the volunteers. Volunteers will be provided with food and board. The recruitment of volunteers and trainees (mainly via will be a shared responsibility between the Head Grower and Project Director.

The grower will be on a salary of £450 per week, £23,400 per annum and will be entitled to 28 days paid holiday per year, preferably taken during the quiet period between December and March.

The grower will be offered accommodation in a 2-bedroom house, in a village 5 miles from the market garden for a rent of £300 per month subject to an Assured Short-hold Tenancy. The other bedroom would be used if additional capacity is needed to house wwoofers or trainees. Alternatively, the grower could be accommodated for free in the Dower House, next to the
garden, with their own bedroom and shared kitchen and dining room/office.

Applicants need to be able to demonstrate experience, training, and qualifications relevant to the role and person specification and/or have at least 1-year practical experience growing and selling in the UK or a similar climate, in a chemical free or organic agricultural enterprise. The candidate should have a passion for sustainable and regenerative agriculture and a track record of managing, coordinating and training volunteers.


  • UK Driving License (valid and current)
  • Qualification or relevant experience in horticulture growing and selling.

Person Specification:

  • As our key public facing person you will need strong social, interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team, communicate effectively and delegate through the project team and stakeholders
  • Comprehensive knowledge of organic food growing and at least 1-year practical experience of growing in a market garden or similar setting
  • Experience of growing food to sell through market stalls, organic box schemes, farm shops or businesses
  • A track record of developing a practical project, including managing and supporting a team of staff and volunteers
  • A passion for organic food growing and sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices
  • Proficiency in IT and experience of writing invoices and managing accounts.
  • Competent user of social media to promote and build the brand, or have the ability to delegate and oversee this role

Please send your CV and a covering letter to, or by post to: Tracy Worcester, Forbidden Fruit and Veg, Dower House, Badminton, South Glos, GL9 1DJ. 01 454
218 491 or 078 909 717 21